Sunday, May 3, 2020

Weekly Announcements for Week of 5/3-5/9

Dear SBSC families,


Practice Schedule
No start date to announce yet.  According to Governor Holcomb's 5 part plan pools may open again on May 24.  I will be in touch with some of the local pools to check the availability/possibility of us using their facilities.  If it is allowed I'd like to start, in at least in a limited context, on June 1.  If that is not possible, I am hoping we will be allowed back in the schools on July 6.  I will updated as I know more

Daily Training
Please continue to follow the training protocol below:

1. Start with the Qswim app.  Ideally use the app on a tablet.  You can view the users guide by clicking here.  The goal is to maintain or achieve the "ideal" swimming shape.  Do each of the tests.
2. Use the Train Heroic app and complete the days workout.
3. Use GoSwim to watch video.   Don't just watch, LEARN
4. Mental Training (hopefully I will be able to announce something by the end of the week)

On Saturday and Sunday I strongly recommend use the any of the yoga videos we have used in our daily training or watching the YouTube channel Swimming Specific Yoga.

GoSwim App
There have been several studies/reports, both from clinical and anecdotal events, that show watching video of athletic performances stimulates the brain the same way as if the athlete was actually performing the skill themselves.  You can sign up for the app free of charge and view their entire library of videos or you can join the the SBSC training group by clicking on this link.  For anyone serious about swimming watching videos should be part of their daily swimming routine. This is true throughout the year but becomes even more vital until we can return to the water.

New USA Swimming Guidelines-MAAPPUSA
Swimming issued a directive with regards to electronic communication and social media contact between coaches and athletes.  Most of what is being implemented is common sense and falls in line with our club's policies.  One new requirement we will need to adhere to is how your minor child communicates with me.  For several years I have asked swimmers in Group 2 and Group 3 to text/email me if they would be missing practice.  Moving forward, swimmers will be instructed to include a parent on all communication with me.

If you are the parent of a Group 2 or Group 3 swimmer, and have never sent me a text before, please text me so I have your contact info in my phone.  This way if I need to contact your swimmer about missing practice I can be sure to include you.  My cell phone number is 574-276-6057.
  I encourage all parents and swimmers to read the full policy.  We are required to keep this policy on our website, here is the link.

Summer Meet Schedule
Indiana swimming announced it will not be sanctioning any meets until after July 13. At this point we have nothing on our schedule until Indiana Swimming releases an update.
--
John VanDriessche
Head Coach
South Bend Swim Club
South Bend Riley High School
(574)276-6057
www.southbendswimclub.com
#SBSCForLife

No comments:

Post a Comment